DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Sunday, November 22, 2015

DNF: Ink and Bone, By Rachel Caine

  • Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: NAL (June 7 2016)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0451473132
  • ISBN-13: 978-0451473134
  • Product Dimensions: 14 x 2.4 x 21 cm
  • Shipping Weight: 345 g
  • "Ruthless and supremely powerful, the Great Library is now a presence in every major city, governing the flow of knowledge to the masses. Alchemy allows the Library to deliver the content of the greatest works of history instantly—but the personal ownership of books is expressly forbidden.

Jess Brightwell believes in the value of the Library, but the majority of his knowledge comes from illegal books obtained by his family, who are involved in the thriving black market. Jess has been sent to be his family’s spy, but his loyalties are tested in the final months of his training to enter the Library’s service.

When he inadvertently commits heresy by creating a device that could change the world, Jess discovers that those who control the Great Library believe that knowledge is more valuable than any human life—and soon both heretics and books will burn.…"- Amazon
______
DNF?:
Yeah, it's true. I'm a black sheep - I didn't like Ink and Bone..

It's weird, really because you would assume that it being all about books, and their value to the world that me as a book lover would cherish this novel for all its worth. But ironically, I think that's the exact thing that made me not enjoy it. You see, Ink and Bone was (and this is the only way I can explain it) too meta for me. One can only liken the experience of reading this novel to watching a documentary about people from another country who love watching documentaries.

Only compounding to the problem was the melodramatic style Rachel Caine described the destruction of books. Now I'm aware that A: the protagonist is a rabid fan of literature, and subsequently this is the way he would realistically react, however at a certain point, his frankly theatrical way of viewing literature got tiresome, and over the top.

Look, this isn't a story for me, but I do think most of my complaints are person specific...If you're the type of person, who adores this type of self-ware story, I would absolutely argue in favor of you giving it a read.
_____

No comments:

Post a Comment