DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Monday, March 18, 2013

My Thoughts: Chasing The Prophecy, by Brandon Mull


"Jason and Rachel were not born in Lyrian. They did not grow up in Lyrian. But after all of the battles and losses, the triumphs and adventures, and most of all, the friendships forged in this fantastical world, Lyrian has become home to them in a way they never could have imagined.
And so, armed now with the prophecy of a dying oracle, they have gone on their separate quests—each surrounded by brave and powerful allies—knowing that the chance for success is slim. But Jason and Rachel are ready at last to become the heroes Lyrian needs, no matter the cost."-Amazon 
My Thoughts
Well.. I read it.. and it was good. The events still shocked me; right on Que ,and the storytelling was adequate, yet not too frilly. The author also did a decent job with the character development. You could clearly tell the characters were drastically different people from what they were at the beginning of the novel.

However Jason (see synopsis) was somewhat lacking in this installment. He played the part of a classic hero that got everything done with nothing but his strength. He honestly reminded me of Hercules! He had no special talents, no special powers, and no special part to play. (Okay he did, but that was with an unprecedented and uncharacteristic amount of brilliance.)

On the other hand you have Rachel. An aspiring Edomic Sorcerers with great potential. This character was executed flawlessly! She was unique, smart and had something to offer when it came to the overall plot. A good character I say!

In the end, the conclusion fell a bit short for me. It was much better than anything I could have thought up of, but It needed a bit more. Perhaps If I could see "the letter" being delivered to "the parents"? or their reactions maybe? I'm not sure...
Rating: B 
What to expect?
  • Revelations!
  • Darian the Seer!
  • Edomic!
  • The Abominations....

No comments:

Post a Comment