DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Sunday, June 16, 2013

[ARC Review] Spirit Animals: Wild Born, By Brandon Mull

  • Age Range: 8 and up 
  • Hardcover: 224 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
  • Release Date: September 10
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0545522439
  • ISBN-13: 978-0545522434
  • Source: Thank you, to my local public library for giving me my first (and best) ARC!
  • "Four children separated by vast distances all undergo the same ritual, watched by cloaked strangers. Four flashes of light erupt, and from them emerge the unmistakable shapes of incredible beasts - a wolf, a leopard, a panda, a falcon. Suddenly the paths of these children - and the world - have been changed forever.

    Enter the world of Erdas, where every child who comes of age must discover if they have a spirit animal, a rare bond between human and beast that bestows great powers to both. A dark force has risen from distant and long-forgotten lands, and has begun an onslaught that will ravage the world. Now the fate of Erdas has fallen on the shoulders of four young strangers . . . and on you.

    Part engrossing book series, part action role-playing game - discover your spirit animal and join the adventure in Fall 2013."-Goodreads 
  • Note: The following novel is for grades 4-5, so in the effort of utmost authenticity, I’ve reviewed this novel as if I were reading it in grades 4-5. 
_____
My Thoughts:
Spirit Animals was amazing. 
The concept itself is what will hook readers in,  It’s unique; yet has a familiar feel to it. Think Erin Hunter’s Warriors series, except with less cat chat, more human dialogue, and animalistic bonds that could potentially save the world. (Or Brandon Mull’s snappy parody of it)  I guess it ultimately boils down to; who doesn't like animals?  
Hallk durst not! Thou Peasant Connor, for he was my favourite character- they were four mind you. Abeke, Rollin, Melin and Connor, each summoning one of four beasts: A Gryfalcon, a Wolf, a  leopard, and a Panda. (Not in order) The “glue” of this novel, is that the lot of them are to combine forces to combat an ancient evil. It was truly charming. 

Then there was the most measured; and structured of the group. I don’t want to spoil too much-after all this is an ARC –however she will intrigue you.

 If I were to give Maggie Steifvater some advice, it would be to continue Spirit Animals smashing debut. This brand new series has allot of potential, and I can envision it really taking off from here. Great Job Brandon Mull!
Rating: 4.8/5
What to expect?
  • Animals
  • Summoning!
  • Danger
  • Mountains!
______

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on your first ARC. I was a fan of the Warriors series so I think I still have it in me to enjoy this, I love that cover! I think Stiefvater will do a great job, I love everything she writes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erhm, its not middle grade exactly, its kinda like the 39 clues. It walks the middle line as above "Captain Underpants" yet below "Percy Jackson"

      Delete