DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Thoughts: Tremor, by Patrick Carman

Tremor by Patrick Carman
  • Print Length: 373 pages
  • Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0062085808
  • Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (February 25, 2014)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00DB2YN0M
"In the year 2051, some people have a second pulse… 

Like all who have “the pulse,” Faith Daniels and Dylan Gilmore have telekinetic powers—they can move objects with their minds. But there are five “second pulses” in the world who have an even greater power: Almost nothing can harm them. They are virtually indestructible. 

Both Faith and Dylan have the second pulse. But the other side has second pulses, too, and they’ve been training for a war that has been brewing their entire lives. As Dylan executes a plan to infiltrate enemy grounds, he’ll have to face his only weakness, and a family secret that will threaten his very existence. 

Together, Faith and Dylan are the only hope this world has left, but they must go their separate ways in order to accomplish their plan. Will their love survive? 

With richly developed characters and heart-pounding action scenes, the second book in Patrick Carman’s Pulse trilogy continues the electrifying dystopian story of love and revenge. "- Kernels corner

_________
My Thoughts:
It seems to be a pulse trilogy trend to fixate on few – but critical events as opposed to many, somewhat important events. I don’t know whether this is the right choice for a dystopian sequence, however one should be aware, that Tremor – like Pulse – is decidedly slow moving.

You don’t really notice it, between Patrick Carman’s dynamic writing, and Faith’s feats of telepathy; but like a bizarre epiphany, there it is: “I can’t remember any stand-out event in the last 300 pages or so.”

I’m really surprised, because notwithstanding little material, I really loved Tremor. It was oddly more character driven than it’s prerunner. The drifters (a resistance group), were like a dysfunctional family, their squabbles, serving to push the boundaries of who they consider themselves to be, whilst also advancing the storyline.
“There are no rules in there. You can’t imagine what he’s like, what he’s accomplished“
Aside from pacing, I believe Tremor would have benefited from a more detailed/drawn out ending. I’m thinking; describing how they got in, (security, codes, etc.), extending the last dialogue - stuff like that. I’m not an author though, and have little experience in the craft, so I wouldn't presume to dictate “the right way” for Carman to translate his vision.  

Given that this series has an interesting premise, and a cliffhanger finale,  I will be purchasing Quake.


My Rating: 3.6/5
_________

No comments:

Post a Comment