DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Saturday, November 9, 2013

My Thoughts: Wrong Number, by R.L. Stine

  • Mass Market Paperback: 176 pages
  • Publisher: Simon Pulse; 1st Archway edition Released: (March 1, 1990)
  • Language: English
  • Age: 13+
  • ISBN-10: 0671694111
  • ISBN-13: 978-0671694111
  • Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 0.5 x 7 inches

"It begins as an innocent prank, when Deena Martinson and her best friend Jade Smith make sexy phone calls to the boys from school. But Deena's half-brother Chuck catches them in the act and threatens to tell their parents, unless the girls let him in on the fun. Chuck begins making random calls, threatening anyone who answers. It's dangerous and exciting. They're even enjoying the publicity, and the uproar they've caused. Until Chuck calls a number on Fear Street.

To his horror, Chuck realizes he has called THE WRONG NUMBER. The jokes are over when murder is on the line. The murderer knows who they are and where they live — and they have nowhere to call for help."- Goodreads


My Thoughts:
Well that was nice.
A simple, drama free, corny horror story.

At first the plot seems like that of a classic horror movie. Two teenagers, involved in some sort of mischief, only to find that they're in for more that they bargained for. However when you really get into it..well... its exactly that. There is no further plot or character complexity.

Speaking of characters, the ones in Wrong Number weren't the wisest. But were adequately suited for the story. Just like Minimalist animation uses simple portraits to force the viewer to examine the content, R.L Stine did the same. Wrong Number doesn't have the rolling vast descriptions of a Rowling novel, but using simple means, a warm story was conveyed.

Though what I love about Fear Street (and R.L Stine's books in general), is that they don't pretend to be something they're not. Wrong Number for example, knows it isn't an edge-of-your-seat thriller, or the next Hobbit - and gladly doesn't try to be. It embraces its inner zaniness, and as a result bolsters its nostalgic appeal.

Somehow I've managed to embraced the pulp of this novel. I don't know if that's due to my recent apathy of mainstream novels, or the lack horror in my literary diet, but this little mystery was appealing

 My Rating: 3.2/5

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I can't remember the last time I read an R.L Stine book, but I remember being freaked out by the covers. I gathered up the courage to try them out once and then I was hooked! I don't think I diverged away from the Goosebump books much but I would think they'd be kind of similar to this? This novel sounds intriguing, and I'm gad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goosbumps is more Middle Grade, and Fear Street is somewhat YA. Same concept though! I remember picking out a Fear Street novel in 7'th grade, so I decided to try another!

      Delete