DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Thoughts: The Dying of The Light, by Derek Landy [SPOILERS]

  • File Size: 2885 KB
  • Print Length: 608 pages
  • Publisher: HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (August 28, 2014)
  • Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00JD3X07K
  • Text-to-Speech: Enabled 
  • X-Ray:
  • Lending: Not Enabled
"The FINAL shocking, heart-wrenching book in the jaw-droppingly stupendous Skulduggery Pleasant series.
Valkerie. Darquesse. Stephanie. The world ain’t big enough for the three of them. The end will come…
The War of the Sanctuaries has been won, but it was not without its casualties. Following the loss of Valkyrie Cain, Skulduggery Pleasant must use any and all means to track down and stop Darquesse before she turns the world into a charred, lifeless cinder.
And so he draws together a team of soldiers, monster hunters, killers, criminals… and Valkyrie’s own murderous reflection.
The war may be over, but the final battle is about to begin. And not everyone gets out of here alive…"- Amazon
_____

My Thoughts:
I'm unsure of how to review a novel like The Dying of The Light. At the center of things, it was impressive, but ultimately ailed of various semi-intregal flaws. So since I cant coherently gather my opinions on what I just read, I've made a bullet-list to do it for me. 

  • The Lack and Anxiety of the plot
In the first third of the book, there was a clear objective. Bait Darquesse, Trap her, then dispose off her conscious. Sounds good right? Well that plan is thrown out the window, in favour of another, which in turn is thrown out, until all that remains is a mad scramble (and I mean SCRAMBLE) to stop the god-killer herself... I don't know why the plot seemed nervous about conclusion, but it's squirminess, seemed unnecessary, as you could've made a pretty good novel off the first premise alone.

  • Otherworldly Questions:
When Valkyrie was being examined by Dr.Nye, "it" explicitly stated that she was Devoid of magic. Devoid of magic as in, every living thing has magic, and she has NONE. This raises the question, of how she could go through her surge (Puberty for Sorcerers), if she HAS NO SORCERY.

  • "And"
This is a point best demonstrated....
"Darquesse burst through the window and her hand closed round Stephanie's throat. Stephanie was lifted off her feet and she felt the fingers tighten and there was nothing she could do and she was going to die"

Other than these three things,The Dying of the Light is Skulduggery Pleasant as usual. You can expect the standard fight choreography, and biting wit that allured you in Dark Days. With such brilliant writing, I'm exceedingly dismal that this series is ending - but I feel Derek Was able to wrap it up nicely. The few plot threads that we left hanging were done so in a way that didn't hinder the finality of the story. 

In other words, farewell !
My Rating: 3.5/5
____

No comments:

Post a Comment