DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Thoughts: Messenger of Fear, by Micheal Grant

20419044Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (September 23, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0062207407
ISBN-13: 978-0062207401
"I remembered my name – Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, faced with the solemn young man in the black coat with silver skulls for buttons, I could recall nothing else about myself.

And then the games began.

The Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear. 

But what does any of this have to do with Mara? She is about to find out . . "-Goodreads
_______
My Thoughts:
I'm a big fan of Micheal Grant, I've loved almost all of his previous books. However as I review my notes, I've recognised that his latest venture is a pretty conflicted read.

On one side it has a cool plot. The whole "Agents of Balance " dishing out gruesome justice was truly enjoyable, offering heaps of moral dilemmas and vague introspection. This, combined with solid characters, led me to believe this book would be another great achievement In Micheal Grant's resume.
"I heard them. Kayla's thoughts. As clearly as if she was speaking. In fact, when I looked, I saw her lips moving. She was speaking but not to the others around her. It was more as if I'd given her a truth serum that caused her to explain herself honestly."
On the other side there were a few fundamental issues. Number one, pertaining to Messenger of Fear's General writing style. It had a perchant for repeating the same term within a sentence, and was strangely clunky. Rare pet-peeve or not, I`m certainly not the only one who`s bothered.

Number two involves the absence of answers - more broadly- the shortage of plot-relevant information contained in this 272 page novel. I`m unsure if Micheal Grant will expand this story into a series, but as it stands - Messenger of Fear doesn't have enough "Meat" to be considered a good book in its own right.


My Rating: 3/5
______

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I have read anything by Michael Grant- but based on your review this one isn't his best, though it still has its good points. Good to know I should start with a different one of his. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete