DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Saturday, December 28, 2013

My Thoughts: The Fifth Wave, by Rick Yancey


  • Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
  • Release Date: (May 7, 2013)
  • Page Count: 408
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0399162410
  • ISBN-13: 978-0399162411
  • Product Dimensions: 9.3 x 6.4 x 1.7 inches


  • "After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

    Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

    Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up."-Goodreads


    My Thoughts:
    The Fifth Wave is a horrifying yet wonderful tale about humanity and what it does when faced with great adversity. On Rick Yancey's part, this was nicely done. Throughout the novel the reader is treated to some inspiring situations, note-worthy quotes, and harrowing backstories. For those who ask, these aliens don't sparkle, shimmer, or feel. They have an agenda, and the means to accomplish it.

    "I considered the M16 my best of besties. Always by my side, even at night time burrowed into my sleeping bag with me, faithful and true. In the 4th Wave, you can't trust people are still people. But you can trust your gun is still your gun"

    Now let's get to the waves, which I'll admit were one of my favourite parts.  Who came up with these things? The careful yet reckless way the "others" chose to extinguish the human race? Because they were so interesting. Well... that didn't come out right. The interesting part was how each wave took the best "this is how we die" theories of today and projected them into realistic fictional future. 

    Weirdly, I don't have too much to gripe about when it comes to Yancey's work. One of my minor annoyances is that it was a bit confusing switching POV's.  Especially when characters were in similar conundrums at the start/end of their chapter's. I literally had to wait a page or two for a telltale sign of who was chatting, which meant I had to backtrack and realign my mental compendium of events.

    Speaking of POV's, The Fifth Wave was written from four peoples perspectives. Some POV's were utilised MUCH more than others, but I felt that all were necessary. With each section, I got to know Cassie, Sammy, Zombie and Evan a little more.  (Which is good I should add, as they were all mildly intriguing characters.)

    My last point is going to be dedicated to my final problem with the Fifth Wave. (No, it's not the setup for a potential love triangle). The issue is although I loved it as a book - I don't have an overwhelming urge to read the sequel.  I assume this was due to Rick semi-closing his Cassie's tale.  Nevertheless, with only two issues I would recommend this gratifying ride to anyone.

    My Rating: 4/5 
    Reader's Rating:


    2 comments:

    1. I was so excited for this one after all the book trailers came out but was pretty disappointed with the novel. Everyone does seem to love it though so it seems like I am in the minority. I do agree about the POV switches! Hard to keep track!

      ReplyDelete