DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Thoughts: Siege and Storm, by Leigh Bardugo

  • Age Range: 12 and up 
  • Hardcover: 448 pages
  • Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
  • Release Date: June 4, 2013
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0805094601
  • ISBN-13: 978-0805094602
"Darkness never dies.
Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can't outrun her past or her destiny for long.
The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling's game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm."-Amazon
_____
My Thoughts:
Nonono....STUBBORN, STUBBORN Mal! No! Do you have ANY idea of what you've just done!?
-Exeunt -
I'm going to start off this review with a question.  How do you recover from reading a book like Siege and Storm!? Well!
Let's begin with the plot, because it was that awesome.
From the very start, you'll be amazed.  I cannot begin to describe the twists, the turns, and just the general shock that accompanies this novel. Leigh Bardugo is a master at keeping the reader entertained and engrossed, even when no particular activity is going on. (Not that there wasn't any by the way) 
All the tiny events and comments, are subtly sewn into a complex storyboard that is the plot of Siege and Storm. Captivated by the world of Ravka; I simply couldn't put this book down. 

Then there's the characters, who were executed so well.
I loved Alina. Her growth as a character, acceptance, as well as her comradery with Sturmhond. Oh, I almost forgot about Sturmhond. A little chess piece played to perfection. Now, HE was one of my favourite personalities in this novel. (Oh dear, did I just refer to "the sea hound" as a person?)

Lastly, there was Malina. The love between the two was fibrous to say the least. Mostly complicated by the Darkling. (And his rude; plot-helping intrusions.) 
Like most fantasy novels, the romance actually helped this book! It added flavor, dynamics, and something  to ponder while reading the acknowledgements. If anything, the credit goes to Leigh for the mild love SQUARE she's worked up. ( I've never seen a love square, so I might not be the best person to judge its merit)

Despite me partially complaining about the ending, Siege and Storm is a must read. After all;  any book that can leave me like this
Is definitely a book worth buying. 
Rating: 5/5
What to expect?
  • Sturmhond
  • Darkling!
  • Bombshells
  • Adventure
_____

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't started this series *sigh* It sounds really awesome and everyone raves about it! I love a good adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I can't wait! I still have yet to read this one. I really want to know more about this Sturmhond, and I hear the Darkling has a really crazy new power! Love the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really picky with fantasy & paranormal books, but since I've heard lots of good things about this book and the author, I will pick Siege and Storm up. It sounds like a fast paced, page turner book and I'm really up for those (who isn't!?) Nicely reviewed and I'm glad you loved it!!

    Leigh
    Little Book Star

    ReplyDelete