DNF: Ink and Bone  My Thoughts: Six of Crows My Thoughts: A Darker Shade of Magic My Thoughts: Quake

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

[DNF] My Thoughts: Hold Me Closer Necromancer, by Lish McBride

  • Paperback: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Square Fish; Reprint edition (May 8, 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0312674376
  • ISBN-13: 978-0312674373
  • Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 5.6 x 1 inches

  • "Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.
Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.  
With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?"- Amazon
My Thoughts:
I can't... as much as Hold Me closer, Necromancer has a great premise I just can't get "In" to it. I'll explain my problems below.

The euphemisms/similes/metaphors...etc
Please stop. This is one of those things you should use in moderation. I don't need  similes every other sentence, so I have to re-read whole paragraphs. These smiles not only prevented the natural, smooth flow of the novel, but it annoyed me to no end.

The Whimsical nature
Hold me closer almost reminds me of one of those minimalist paintings, where 50% of the image is missing, and the onlooker is left to decipher its entirety based on its skeleton. (Okay, that was an exaggeration). The truth is, I had trouble imagining Sam's world. Lish Mcbride would (mildly) explain Sam's location, (tell) the reader he's leaving it, end the chapter, and then plop him in another one. The reader is left wondering if streets actually exist in the necromantic story, as the main character rarely uses them.

Mediocrity
Due to me not fully grasping Sam's world, it gave everything that happened to him this.. odd, aura. I can't perfectly describe what it was, however it did not do positive deeds for hold me closer.

Afterthoughts.. Wow... this is a pretty nitpicky review! despite what it looks like, I don't hate Lish's work. Its actually satisfactory.


*Disclaimer*
I DO understand that the author probably wasn't aiming for the richly described, extravagant/magical adventure, and that the book wasn't meant to be taken too literally.

My Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment